Fashion related (and totally non-fashion related) things that have made my world go round over the last seven days…
- We’ll Take Manhattan on BBC 4 last Thursday – Did you see it? Did you want to be Jean Shrimpton? Or any model in 60s New York? Or working for Vogue? Or perhaps you had a guilty crush on Aneurin Barnard’s David Bailey? No? just me then… If you want to see the actual shots Bailey took of Ms Shirmpton on their jolly to New York, click here (thanks to @swonderfulBride for the original link).
- Pintrest – possibly the most addictive and time consuming internet fun since Wikitrails. Although I’ve had the account for a while, I’m still getting used to it. Let me know if you’re on it too or have any great tips on who to follow for style inspiration.
- IFB’s New Year blogging goals – not so much goals as tips for setting them, this article breathes life into my blogging bones, particularly when work/life/the world is so busy at the moment. A must read for anyone new to blogging or those dragging their heels after Christmas.
- Clothes swapping – a Friday night with wine, nibbles, gossip, good company, AND the possibility of a whole new wardrobe? Like, like, like. I’m a big fan of clothes swaps and held a clothes swapping party at my place a while ago. This time all of us came away with some new treasures (and, crucially, less than we bought to begin with) and the unwanted threads are going to a charity shop so everyone wins. I’ll write a longer post next week about my finds but for now the picture of clothing carnage, above, will have to suffice!
- New blogs – my good friend and Bristol-based stylist, Amy, has take the plunge into the world of blogging. She has ridiculously good taste and has been my shopping partner in crime on more than one occasion! Take a look and say hello here.
What has been rocking your world? Let me know by commenting below…
Rock The Week is what I hope will become a new feature here at Ship-Shape & Bristol Fashion. Lots of other bloggers do this kind of thing in various guises, but in a nutshell Rock The Week is a chance for me to take stock of the last seven days and jot down the best bits on here.
Sometimes I don’t think we take enough time to reconginise the good things in life – it’s always easier to moan about the bad – so Rock The Week posts will be my antidote to this. As I’ve been a bit slack on the blogging front lately (technically for the whole year!) this week will feature a few highlights from the last couple of weeks…
- Company magazine revamp – new size, new matt paper and new typefaces and illustrations. This latest incarnation of the magazine has more than a passing resemblance to it’s biannual High Street Edit and despite my initial resistance to the size, it’s actually darn handy in it’s ‘handbag friendly’ form. Style Bubble has written a great post on the new look here, which also mentions the utter brillance of teen fashion mags.
- Pounding the pavement – I’ve been hibernating from life over the last few months but I’m finally back to running two or three times a week. I’ve got a long way to go before I’m ready for the Bath Half Marathon in March but I’m getting there.
- Something for (almost) nothing – picking up a book on vintage style for £1 at a sale at work. Vintage Style: Iconic Looks and How to Get Them by Sarah Kennedy is packed with pages for every goddess of style from Jackie O and Twiggy to Bianca Jagger and Joan Jett.
- Sh*t Fashion Girls Say parody, which apparently reminds my sis in law of me. The worst part is I know I’ve made those Blair from Gossip Girl comments a million times…
- An Eye For Fashion at MShed. Last year on of my favourite photographers, Martin Parr, held a retrospective at Bristol’s newest museum, and now the late, great fashion photographer Norman Parkinson and his work are on show. I haven’t had a chance to go yet, thanks to a manic week at work, but luckily the exhibition is on until 15th April so there is plenty of time to see this slice of fashion history.